Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 2 Random Acts of Christmas Kindness

Day 2 RACK'ed

First things first...  I found this little devotional and feel that it fits perfectly with what I am trying to accomplish!

Therefore, as God’s chosen people,
holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion,

kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
Colossian 3:12

I once read a story about an elderly gentleman who carried a can of oil everywhere he went. If he passed through a squeaking door, he poured his oil on the hinges. If a gate’s latch was difficult to open, he oiled it. People called him weird and eccentric, but he pressed on. He refilled his can when it became empty and oiled the rusty and creaky places he found.


Many people around us creak and groan harshly as they face difficulties. Nothing goes right for them. They desperately need healing oil applied to their hurts and troubles.


On the road called life people constantly come and go; some we only encounter once. God help us to be as diligent as the eccentric old man. When we see rough or rusty spots, let’s apply the oil of thoughtfulness. And when our oil runs out, may time spent in prayer refill us to do it again.

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, Fill us with your lubricating oil. Open our eyes to the hard places in the lives of those around us so we can apply some kindness, gentleness, and compassion. Use your oil to diminish the jagged edges of many a sin-hardened life, leaving them soft, pliable, and ready to receive your redeeming grace. Amen.



Going deeper: Pray for those who have rusty, hard to open hearts and choose a random act of kindness to perform today.



So today my husband is taking the afternoon off and we are going to "finish" our Christmas shopping! We do this every year and I truly love this time with him.  He is usually right in the spirit with me and I love the sparkle he gets in his eyes! He loves to spoil our children...but since I made this a "handmade Christmas" for the kids exchange...we ourselves are NOT going overboard as we have so many times over the years!~  I will stay strong and keep him in check.

That said... I placed one dollar bills in 6 separate baggies with a little note in them that says "Santa wanted to give you this dollar to help you remember to stay on his nice list! Love, Santa's Helpers" 


My goal is to go into the Dollar Store and place these bags randomly in the toy section.  My hope is that an adult doesn't come and scoop them up... I want to surprise a child...but that's the beauty of this... if an adult does come by and take them.. so be it. Perhaps they are in need of the money!  This is in God's hands.

The second thing I did this morning although this isn't terribly "random" however, I brought a Christmas card over to my neighbor.  She is a very active mom who works a full time job, has 4 kids...and a husband who also works practically more than full time!  Anyways, in the card, I told her that this Saturday. I would like to pick up the 3 kids... take them to lunch and then take them to a movie.  I am also going to bring them to my home and make a couple gifts for their mom and dad... but I didn't tell her that! :-)  She was delighted!  So this will hopefully give the parents some time to finish shopping or just to sit in the silence and enjoy some time to themselves! I remember being a busy mother when my children were small, and believe the gift of time may just be the best gift of all during this season.

Blessings.
Laura 


2 comments:

Roxana White said...

What great ideas! I found your blog on pinterest (grungy tags); so glad I did. Now following you :)

Would you mind sharing where the devotional came from? Thanks! Roxana

http://fourelevenrox.blogspot.com/

Feng Shui said...

good interesting. Hope you will colect more dollar!

http://www.artisoo.com